[Babel-users] emacs and "babeld style"

Christof Schulze christof.schulze at gmx.net
Thu Nov 29 20:45:57 GMT 2018

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:00:26AM -0800, Dave Taht wrote:
>Particularly after attempting the two major merges I tried earlier
>this month, I longed for *one true format to rule them all and on
>github, commit them* There's spaces where tabs should be, three or
>four different styles in different files, stuff that's on one line
>where elsewhere it's on two, and sd on and on and on....
>
>Attached is my .clang-format attempt from a few weeks back. It
>generates a mere 8000 lines of diff. It does the right thing with
>includes and with FOR_EACH macros, but still has flaws.  :( But: the
>end result was fairly pleasing and in particular it didn't do huge
>amounts of churn to message.c which was a real pain point for me at
>the time.
>
>There's some comments in the file for matters of "taste", flip one
>oneway or the other, do a clang-format -i *.c *.h
>
>I have preferences for single lines on if statements, for example.
>There's also choosing between wrap at 79 or 78 characters that had a
>kind of dramatic effect...
>
>I think the babel project committing and publishing to one true
>format, (and providing the .clang-format and relevant style file for
>emacs....) and everyone having a flag day to do that,  would be a huge
>boon to future branchers and forkers and committers.
I agree. Also I do not care what the format is as long as it is
consistent. So how about adding the .clang-format to the project now and
then switching over to the format on january 10th?

This would be far enough into the future to allow preparation and it
would be well after holidays.

Juliusz, what do you think?

viele Grüße

Christof