[Babel-users] resuming 1.8.3 deployment

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Thu Oct 25 20:33:06 BST 2018

> Being a meshy protocol, though, if something escapes, usually over
> a "backup" link, suddenly a whole bunch more specific routes end up
> going through that backup link and life goes to hell quickly.

Yeah, that's a common user interface issue.

Now that we have mandatory bits, though, this could be solved by a simple
protocol extension: allow routes to carry a "subdomain tag", and allow
filtering on the subdomain tag.  So in Rome you say

  redistribute ip ::/0 subdomain-tag rome
  in subdomain-tag rome allow
  in subdomain-tag "" allow
  in deny

and any routes tagged with Athens are dropped without any confusing
network prefixes in your config file.

> I still find the whole babel src_ip and source specific stuff
> confusing for ipv6.

Please expand on that.