[Babel-users] resuming 1.8.3 deployment

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 21:02:55 BST 2018

I like the tag idea a lot. Shades of BGP! But I do also highly
recommend the bssid trick.

As for explaining my difficulties with src_ip and other matches in the
filter language, I figure me trying to explain them might lead to me
understanding where I've gone wrong. :) too complicated today. I only
have 6 campus routers left to replace... still have my dhcpv6-pd
comcast bug....

One thing, on this new deployment, is openwrt (cerowrt didn't do
this)'s default install of the ip-mini command allows specifying
proto... but ignores it.

This led to "hilarity" everywhere I forgot to install the ip-full
package, when I'd do things
like try to insert covering routes or, worse, flush them. ip route
flush proto 50... flushed everything. I'd like future versions of
openwrt to allow this so we could actually keep track of stuff that
was boot/static/dhcp/hnetd/etc better... or should I try to switch to
tables?

On 10/25/18, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at irif.fr> wrote:
>> Being a meshy protocol, though, if something escapes, usually over
>> a "backup" link, suddenly a whole bunch more specific routes end up
>> going through that backup link and life goes to hell quickly.
>
> Yeah, that's a common user interface issue.
>
> Now that we have mandatory bits, though, this could be solved by a simple
> protocol extension: allow routes to carry a "subdomain tag", and allow
> filtering on the subdomain tag.  So in Rome you say
>
>   redistribute ip ::/0 subdomain-tag rome
>   in subdomain-tag rome allow
>   in subdomain-tag "" allow
>   in deny
>
> and any routes tagged with Athens are dropped without any confusing
> network prefixes in your config file.
>
>> I still find the whole babel src_ip and source specific stuff
>> confusing for ipv6.
>
> Please expand on that.
>
> -- Juliusz

CTO, TekLibre, LLC