[Babel-users] a better bird config and a survived gnarly rtod test

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Oct 25 22:42:15 BST 2018

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:

> does bird's metric 128 inflate that default metric then?

The config with the 128 metric adds that to the initial metric, before
the routes are announced the first time...

> should it just be 0? 96?

Well, that would depend on which policy you want to implement :)

> Perhaps it would help if I shared my sekret plan.
>
> In the lab I have 3 routers for test purposes (7 actually, but...)
>
> labgw -------------------------------------------------- campusgw
> (heavily filtered, I'm crazy but not entirely so)
>               |                 |                      |
>          FRR Router   BIRD router     BABELD router
>               |                 |                      |
>          ----------------a switch -------------------------------------------
>              |    |       |             |            |                       |
>             a  bunch of          devices configured differently
>
> The routers are apu2s, the devices a misc collection of hackerboards,
> with kernels
> going back as far as 3.10.
>
> assuming all these do the right/same things with metrics, my
> assumption is the firstmost router  to make an announcement will win.
> apu2s also have two ports, so each has yet
> another device hanging off of that...

Hmm, yeah, if they all announce the same routes with the same metrics, I
guess the devices will pick whichever one it establishes contact with
first, and not switch that route over unless something changes...

-Toke