[Babel-users] babeld usage for wifi mesh for festival in Germany

Christof Schulze christof.schulze at gmx.net
Thu Jul 4 22:45:02 BST 2019

Hello everyone,

Babeld 1.8.4 was just used to create a mesh network for the german
festival "Breminale". To accomplish client roaming, l3roamd was used.
Multicast-Routing was enabled mesh-wide using mmfd. Before the network
was taken down and replaced with a switched network it had 5-6K
Routes and 1K client devices (with 58 Nodes with 2-4 used interfaces
into every daemon on it).

This is proof that this type of setup is able to scale into the
dimensions needed by Freifunk Communities in Germany. This is the
largest real-life babeld installation that I know of and the fact that
it was possible to pull it off is a great success. I could stop this
email here, however the engineer in myself cannot deny that:
* Route distribution was slow at that network size to the point where
  the network was unusable during peak times.
* Babeld was spending a lot of CPU time. (1.9 should help)
* mmfd was listening on the babeld status socket, burning 30% CPU.
  Monitoring just neighbour changes would have significantly helped. To
  address this, an architecture change is being implemented in mmfd such
  that the dependency towards the babel socket is removed. This will
  reduce the load as well.

I am extremely curious how the stack will perform next time this is
attempted using babeld 1.9.

I thank the Freifunk Bremen team around genofire for allowing this type
of experiment at that scale and for making it all happen, providing
extremely valuably input for debugging and further developing the
required software stack [1]. Thank you very much.

[1] https://github.com/FreifunkBremen/gluon-site-ffhb/tree/breminale2019-babel

Cheers
Christof