[Babel-users] babeld usage for wifi mesh for festival in Germany

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Fri Jul 5 10:25:05 BST 2019

> Babeld 1.8.4 was just used to create a mesh network for the german
> festival "Breminale". To accomplish client roaming, l3roamd was used.
> Multicast-Routing was enabled mesh-wide using mmfd. Before the network was
> taken down and replaced with a switched network it had 5-6K Routes and 1K
> client devices (with 58 Nodes with 2-4 used interfaces into every daemon
> on it).

That's excellent news.  Thanks a lot for your work, Christof.

> * Route distribution was slow at that network size to the point where  the
> network was unusable during peak times.

Yeah, known issue, fixed in the 1.9 branch.  (1.8 was using a quadratic
algorithm, stupid me, 1.9 is linear.)

> * Babeld was spending a lowet of CPU time. (1.9 should help)

Same issue as above, I believe.

https://github.com/tcatm/mmfd ?

> * mmfd was listening on thle babeld status socket, burning 30% CPU.
> Monitoring just neighbour changes would have significantly helped.

I agree.  I believe there's a pull request from you to do just that.

I really need a few days of quiet to release both 1.8.5 and 1.9.0.
Unfortunately, life is pretty hectic right now -- hopefully that will
happen before the end of July.

Thanks again for your work and the friendly mail,