[Babel-users] althea presentation on isp in a box at nanog 76

Justin Kilpatrick justin at altheamesh.com
Thu Jun 20 14:31:43 BST 2019

Sure you can highjack the calls and lie to yourself about how much traffic you've seen. But that's not going to change what the other node expects to be paid.

I discuss payment communication in detail in the presentation. There are plenty of ways you can cause your own node to fail, unplugging it for example. But we prevent external fraud pretty well.

Ammbr's design, at least as written is much more complicated. They don't use pay per forward (our key simplifying assumption for payments). They also plan to build their own hardware.

We estimated our simplicity first and commodity hardware approach would beat them to market by several years. So far that's panned out. They don't provide any sort of mesh product to the public right now. Nor is any routing or billing source code available last I checked.

You can download the latest  Althea release here.

https://github.com/althea-net/althea-firmware

And see the working billing implementation here.

https://github.com/althea-net/althea_rs/blob/master/rita/src/rita_common/traffic_watcher/mod.rs

--
  Justin Kilpatrick
  justin at altheamesh.com