[Babel-users] Open-Mesh migration, 802.11s, babeld, speed degradation

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Wed Mar 6 01:35:32 GMT 2019

> Yes, in this situation all neighbor stations enumerate.   Everyone can ping
> everyone via 802.11s mesh.

You're running Babel over an 802.11s mesh?  Why?

Both Babel and 802.11s are routing protocols (more exactly, 802.11s
contains a routing protocol).  Running both in the same mesh is redundant.

> However, now that it is running on the wlan0 that is a bridge of wlan0-1
> and wlan0, it just seems boring; I don't see those fancy routing tables,
> and I am not seeing that it is establishing the shortest route based on
> prevailing network conditions, I am see only metrics passed of 0, 128,
> and 65535.

This is expected.  The 802.11s mesh is doing its thing, and Babel sees the
mesh as a single hop.

If 802.11s works for you, then please use that.  If it doesn't, then
please tear down the 802.11s and use Babel.  It is pointless to run both
802.11s and Babel on the same network.