[Babel-users] OT: experimental videoconferencing server

Benjamin Henrion zoobab at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 21:36:14 BST 2020

On Saturday, April 11, 2020, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at irif.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In case anyone is looking for more secure alternatives to the commecial
> videoconferencing offerings...
>
> I've been doing my lectures over BigBlueButton.  I'm very happy with it --
> it's rock solid, scales to 70 people with no problem, and the user
> interface is well designed for lectures.  Our system engineers say that it
> requires non-trivial server resources, though.
>
> One of the interns I'm working with recommends Jitsi.  I have no personal
> experience with it.
>
> For my own needs (chatting with my parents and drinking beer with my
> friends), I've written a very simple WebRTC-based videoconferencing server
> that requires virtually no server resources and is very easy to install.
> It builds a complete mesh between the participants in a group (which is
> why it requires little server resources), so don't expect it to scale
> beyond a handful of participants, but it works fine for small groups (the
> maximum we've done was six, including the cat, who of course had his own
> webcam).
>
>     https://www.irif.fr/~jch/software/chat/
>
> (I know, I know, I should get my act together and release babeld 1.9.2
> rather than hacking WebRTC.)

Does not work with Firefox on iPad.

I wanted to pétition Apple for this. There are nasty restrictions for Apple
apps and WebRTC.

> -- Juliusz

Benjamin Henrion (zoobab)
Email: zoobab at gmail.com
Mobile: +32-484-566109
Web: http://www.zoobab.com
FFII.org Brussels
"In July 2005, after several failed attempts to legalise software patents
in Europe, the patent establishment changed its strategy. Instead of
explicitly seeking to sanction the patentability of software, they are now
seeking to create a central European patent court, which would establish
and enforce patentability rules in their favor, without any possibility of
correction by competing courts or democratically elected legislators."