[Babel-users] babeld for android?

Justin Kilpatrick justin at althea.net
Fri Jan 31 19:19:48 GMT 2020

You may find this interesting Dave

https://blog.althea.net/althea-development-update-79/

The tl;dr is that I wrote a kinda working stub Babel implementation located here

https://gist.github.com/jkilpatr/0d004bdbd1618ca73d5581c3f8baa0ae

But it's almost totally unusable for my use case due to Android's networking rules. At this
point I have completed the Althea Android client but I had to make some very hard compromises
including using Ipv4 everywhere and encryption only to the host router where traffic is natted. You can
see dev update 80 for the whole saga.

Your use case is different than mine and I think the thing that is going to trip you up is that at least
in my testing all ipv6 packets on a subnet are addressed at the Ethernet frame level to whomever
the router advertisement for SLACC was received from. So your packets may be addressed correctly
on l3 but end up at your cell carriers data center because of the l2 address.

I don't know how that interacts with the LTE interface and such. Maybe things actually work over that
transport.

Regardless I've shipped the app and moved on. So I can't contribute to a Babel for Android project
at the moment in a meaningful way except to speculate on what didn't work for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.althea.althea_android
https://github.com/althea-net/althea-android

--
  Justin Kilpatrick