[Babel-users] IP addresses of other interfaces are send via babel

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Tue Jun 2 23:54:50 BST 2020

> There I noticed that the IP addresses of all other interfaces (public
> IPv6 addresses etc.) are send to a multicast address (ff02::1:6) on
> interface br-c1.

This is the expected behaviour.

> This is not something I did expect, because I thought to have told Babel
> to only handle one interface.  Is there a reason Babel sends addresses
> of other interfaces as well?

Linux implements the weak host model, where a host is reachable over all
of its addresses over all of its interfaces.  Babeld mirrors that, by
announcing all of a host's addresses by default.

If you only want to announce the addresses assigned to a given interface,
say something like

   redistribute local if wlan0 allow
   redistribute local deny

(To be frank, I have some misgivings about the default 'redistribute local
allow' policy.  It's convenient for testing, but a default of
'redistribute local deny' would be less error-prone.)