[Babel-users] ANNOUNCE: babeld-1.10

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Sun Apr 25 15:43:33 BST 2021

Dear all,

Babeld-1.10 is available from

  https://www.irif.fr/~jch//software/files/babeld-1.10.tar.gz
  https://www.irif.fr/~jch//software/files/babeld-1.10.tar.gz.asc

For more information about babeld and the Babel routing protocol, please see

  https://www.irif.fr/~jch/software/babel/

This is just a minor relase, but I've called it 1.10 due to an
incompatible change: I've removed the disambiguation algorithm, which
drastically simplifies the code at the cost of disabling source-specific
routing for IPv4.  For IPv6, you'll need Linux 3.11 or later to get
source-specific routing to work; since 3.11 was released almost eight
years ago, this should not be a problem.

There's yet another compliance fix, due to Fabian Blaese.  As far as I'm
aware, this version of babeld is fully compliant with RFC 8966, the new
version of the Babel routing protocol.

The next version will hopefully be babeld-2.0, for which I'm planning:

  * an implementation of Babel-MAC (RFC 8967); this is at

    https://github.com/jech/babeld/pull/52

  * an implementation of v4-via-v6 (draft-ietf-babel-v4viav6); this is at

    https://github.com/jech/babeld/pull/56

Enjoy,

-- Juliusz Chroboczek

25 April 2021: babeld-1.10

  * Removed the disambiguation code: source-specific routing is no longer
    supported for IPv4, and for IPv6 only on Linux 3.11 or later.
  * Fixed an issue handling of retractions with no next hop, which caused
    interoperability problems with BIRD.  Thanks to Fabian Bläse.
  * If skip-kernel-setup is set, we no longer disable the rp_filter, which
    makes babeld work in containers.  Thanks to Martin Weinelt.