[Babel-users] ANNOUNCE: babeld-1.10

Martin Weinelt martin at darmstadt.freifunk.net
Mon Apr 26 18:05:15 BST 2021

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 04:43:33PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Babeld-1.10 is available from
>
>   https://www.irif.fr/~jch//software/files/babeld-1.10.tar.gz
>   https://www.irif.fr/~jch//software/files/babeld-1.10.tar.gz.asc

Ah, we were still using the following URL in our NixOS packaging.

	http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/files/${pname}-${version}.tar.gz

It has not received the 1.10 tarball yet, not sure if that is
intentional. Either way, I've updated to the above mentioned URL.

>   * If skip-kernel-setup is set, we no longer disable the rp_filter, which
>     makes babeld work in containers.  Thanks to Martin Weinelt.

To clarify: We are running babeld in a systemd unit as an unprivileged
user (DynamicUser even), albeit with CAP_NET_ADMIN. We have also
hardened the babeld.service quite significantly, some of which we can
certainly upstream.

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/99de33bb1d8724c5a60369c4605b4f517bb78fc9/nixos/modules/services/networking/babeld.nix#L97-L134

Since we manage babelds configuration in our own configuration language
we take care of the sysctls in a programatic way ourselves.

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/99de33bb1d8724c5a60369c4605b4f517bb78fc9/nixos/modules/services/networking/babeld.nix#L90-L95

This is in NixOS untable and will be part of the upcoming NixoS 20.05
release.

Thanks for the release!

Martin Weinelt