[Babel-users] Anybody else seeing disruption when restarting babeld?

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Fri Feb 24 16:27:34 GMT 2023

Hi,

I've been wondering about why I sometimes see network disruptions when
restarting babeld (with many redundant links). Seems to me if we do things
right that shouldn't happen.

I think I figured out whats going on: babeld immediately flushes the kernel
routes it installed when shutting down, without waiting for neighbours to
switch to a different path.

I put together a quick patch to try and fix this by introducing an option
to delay the final kernel route flush after notifying neighbours about our
shutdown.

I figure this has to be configurable option since full propagation of the
retractions depends on the network diameter and there's no way in the
protocol we can get acknowledgments from the entire network (AFAIK?), not
just our immediate neighbours. Should still be good enough.

    https://github.com/jech/babeld/pull/102

Testers welcome.

--Daniel