[Babel-users] Anybody else seeing disruption when restarting babeld?

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Fri Feb 24 18:41:03 GMT 2023

> I think I figured out whats going on: babeld immediately flushes the kernel
> routes it installed when shutting down, without waiting for neighbours to
> switch to a different path.

Right.  How long is the disruption?

> I figure this has to be configurable option since full propagation of the
> retractions depends on the network diameter and there's no way in the
> protocol we can get acknowledgments from the entire network (AFAIK?), not
> just our immediate neighbours.

We only signal the neighbours: this is distance-vector, so the neighbours
will start searching for a different route without any need for end-to-end
signalling.  Of course, if there are no feasible routes to a given
destination, then the neighbours will perform an end-to-end search for
a loop-free route, but that's the neghbours' problem, not ours.

>     https://github.com/jech/babeld/pull/102

Looks good to me.  Just two comments:

  - should the granularity be lower?  A second for local signalling is
    a lot, I'd expect 300ms to be enough in most cases;
  - why a goto rather than a loop?