[Blend-tinker-devel] udev rules for gta04 - proper place

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Jun 16 12:27:52 UTC 2016

Hi Josua,

Quoting Josua Mayer (2016-06-16 12:45:02)
> I am going to jump right in here now. My impression is that blends are
> mostly about software selection,

Right.  Blends have two parts: Design and use.

Designing a blend is centered around package selection.  Ideally _only_
that, but realistically involves all the "stuff" not yet packaged - like
bugreports, lack of configurability, and missing files like udev rules
you mention here. :-)

Using a blend is the dialogue with users of the blend - noticing
frustrations/surprises and translating that into bugreports - either
against the blend itself or underlying parts, as appropriate.

> but I guess its still a good place to start with this specific
> requirement:

Yes - great that you did!

Just please help keep focus on _blending_ - i.e. identify flawed/missing
"stuff" and locate/report bugreports about it.

I easily get excited myself - please do stop me if I get too technical!
There are plenty of places to discuss hardware or packaging tricks (e.g.
#emdebian or #debian-devel).  Let's keep this list "lightweignt" enough
to be interesting also for community-oriented folks. :-)

> Nikolaus had written a set of useful udev rules that should be
> installed on any of the letux devices, or at least for the gta04.
> What is the proper place in Debian for these?
> Their specific purpose is: stable names for inputs, outputs and
> sensors such as accelerometer, headphone jack and touchscreen.
>
> I do not believe these should be made part of a downstream kernel
> package as Nikolaus did it in the past.

I agree udev rules should not be included with Linux kernel package, if
that is what you mean.

Udev rules are placed below /lib/udev/rules.d on Debian - with
/etc/udev/rules.d/ as a discouraged deprecated alternative.

You can check how other udev rules end there:

  # apt install apt-file
  $ apt-file search /lib/udev/rules.d

That shows udev rules being spread out among a large range of topic
specific packages, and some in more general packages (like udev package
itself).

I suggest to put the current udev rules into a separate .deb package,
and get that package into Debian officially.

Longer term, it might make sense to recode some (or ideally all, if
possible) of the rules to be more generic, so as to be absorbed into
other more generic packages in Debian.  But both recoding and
negotiations with package maintainers and/or upstreams take time, which
is why I suggest to first package as-is what is known to work.

I will be happy to help with packaging, if you want.  But I think it is
better to do that separately from this blend.  Either reuse the existing
pkg-fso team that is rather dormant nowadays, or create a new pkg-letux
(or some other looser or narrower scope, as you wish).

 - Jonas