financial support for the MiniDebConf at Curitiba, Brazil

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Tue Feb 16 14:07:11 UTC 2016

On 16/02/16 13:47, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are organizing a MiniDebconf in Curitiba, Brazil, which will
> take place on March 5th and 6th.
>
> http://br2016.mini.debconf.org/
>
> I would like to request finnacial support from Debian funds to
> cover expenses of the organization, such as paying the people who
> will run the venue during the event and clean it up afterwards,
> renting chairs for the space that will be used as an auditorium,
> making a few Debian banners, and food/drinds for coffee breaks. The
> detailed budget is being recorded at the wiki¹ (in Portuguese,
> sorry).
>
> ¹
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/br/2016/MiniDebconfCuritiba/Custo
>
>  The details are not final yet, but the worst case scenario at this
> point is R$ 2500.00, which by yesterday conversion rates is ~ €
> 565.

I'd also like to request that the Debian project consider using funds
to support the MiniDebConf at FOSSASIA in Singapore.

The FOSSASIA team are already pledging some support to the MiniDebConf
including venue, some local volunteers, managing the schedule and
table space.

To get the maximum benefit out of these opportunities, it would be
desirable for Debian to sponsor two or three DDs from outside the
region to travel to either event in Brazil or Singapore and give talks.

As a minimum, I'd suggest Debian offering each potential speaker
approximately $US 500 to cover hotel costs for 3 nights and this may
attract people who will pay their own flights and take a vacation out
there. If Debian could make a contribution to flight costs as well
that would be even better.

Both of these events are just before the GSoC 2016 student application
deadline so they are both great opportunities for Debian to invite
potential students to meet potential mentors and learn about Debian's
values.

Regards,

Daniel