Switching to Git

Joost van Baal-Ilić joostvb-debian-flyers at mdcc.cx
Sun Feb 24 06:34:48 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 02:05:18PM +0100, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> Joost van Baal-Ilić, 2013-02-22 13:43+0100:
> >On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 01:29:36PM +0100, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> >>I think it does not, as that would completely disrupt the regular
> >>Git worklows. As I understand it, a Git server is just a repository,
> >>and supposed to store revisions, not to produce ones of its own.
> >
> >The idea is to store foo.in in git, and generate foo from that.
>
> Argh. This is certainly not a Git-friendly workflow.
>
> >>What is that code used for exactly?
> >
> >To print the date on the flyer.  There's also code to check up-to-date-ness of
> >translations, don't remember if that does something cvs-y.
>
> I am not sure it will be feasible at all with Git. But then, I do
> not understand the Makefile, mkconfig and stuff very well, and I was
> not able to determine where that date-fetching code was… :-(

OK, I've just looked around on
https://alioth.debian.org/scm/browser.php?group_id=30520 .

We have the script
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-flyers/general/translation-check.pl?view=markup .

It contains

 # Read the original CVS/Entries file and extract version from it
 if (open (CVS_ENTRY,"<CVS/Entries")) {

, so needs CVS.  translation-check.pl comes from the Debian website code.  The
www-team likely has a reimplementation.  We should look around for such a thing
there.

The script is used in
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-flyers/general/Makefile?view=markup ,
which has:

 # check up-to-dateness of translations
 check:
     @for l in $(transfiles); do ./translation-check.pl $$l; done

.

Furthermore,
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-flyers/general/layout.tex?view=co&content-type=text%2Fplain
has a commented out:

 %\MyRCS

while http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-flyers/general/preamble.tex?view=co&content-type=text%2Fplain
has

 \usepackage[today,datehyphen]{rcsinfo}

and e.g.
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-flyers/general/deutsch.tex?view=co&content-type=text%2Fplain
has

 \def\MadeWith{
 %
 Erstellt am \today\\
 mit \LaTeX\ auf einem Debian-System.
 }

and no other code to generate a date.  To me, this looks like the
rcsinfo/MyRCS-stuff is just dead code, it is no longer used.  I believe
"\usepackage[today,datehyphen]{rcsinfo}" should get removed.

So, summary: we are pretty ok.  Check how the www-team does check for
up-to-date-ness of translations, and copy their code (assuming it works with
git).  And even if the conversion to git is done just now, we are still pretty
OK.  I feel having the code in git with a broken translation-check.pl is better
than the current situation.

Bye,

Joost

--
> What!?  You're not on fb!?  EVERYBODY is on fb!
50% of USA is not on facebook.  80% of the world population is NOT on facebook.
http://mdcc.cx/                                    -- OFTC/#bewelcome, Nov 2012