Switching to Git

Tanguy Ortolo tanguy+debian at ortolo.eu
Sun Feb 24 10:39:09 UTC 2013

Joost van Baal-Ilić, 2013-02-24 07:34+0100:
>We have the script
>http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-flyers/general/translation-check.pl?view=markup .
>
>It contains
>
> # Read the original CVS/Entries file and extract version from it
> if (open (CVS_ENTRY,"<CVS/Entries")) {
>
>The script is used in
>http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-flyers/general/Makefile?view=markup ,
>which has:
>
> # check up-to-dateness of translations
> check:
>     @for l in $(transfiles); do ./translation-check.pl $$l; done

I see the general point of that, but I am not used to CVS and I do not
understand Perl very well. This script is clearly made to indicate
whether or not each translation is up-to-date, but it uses some kind of
version number for that, is that simply a common CVS revision number?

I would be able to write a script, certainly not in Perl but rather in
Python, or perhaps just in shell using the usual Git utilities, that
could, given two files, compare the dates of the commits that modified
them last time, for instance:

     bar (2013-01-14 19:40) is up-to-date compared to foo (2013-02-12 23:27)

Do you think that would be suitable?

>and no other code to generate a date.  To me, this looks like the
>rcsinfo/MyRCS-stuff is just dead code, it is no longer used.  I believe
>"\usepackage[today,datehyphen]{rcsinfo}" should get removed.

I think so, I shall try it.

--
Tanguy Ortolo