[Debian-ha-maintainers] libqb is ready

Richard B Winters rik at mmogp.com
Sat Mar 28 23:09:21 UTC 2015

Hi again Feri,

> >   * debian/libqb0.symbols: Added for better cross-dist-version support
>
> I'll have to learn the symbols system.  Jonathan Wiltshire stated in
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=768922#35 that some
> bad symbols table resulted in the current mess, and that a soname bump
> may also be needed.  I don't understand this fully yet, though.

I wanted to add something to this:

There was no symbols file for libqb...if there had been, changes in the
api would have been noted -> and would specify which is the minimal
version to support each symbol. That's why users could install any
version, because nothing was alerting the installation that a dependency
wouldn't be fulfilled by said version of the library.

I did the dumps manually on each libqb version Debian has in its
repository...no symbols seemed to have dropped -> only the api itself
for certain symbols...if you tear apart my package from mentors you will
see in the symbols file how this has changed across each version.

With the current symbols file -> we should be all good, we just have to
remember to manually dump the latest version incase shlibs doesn't
properly find a diff in the symbols. If a diff is found, we then do a
soname bump...but this time, no diff found :)

--
Rik