[Debian-ha-maintainers] libqb is ready

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Sun Mar 29 15:54:38 UTC 2015

Richard B Winters <rik at mmogp.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2015-03-28 at 23:24 +0100, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>>>   * debian/README.debian: Added in order to spell out conditions
>>>     necessary for user to be able to run pkg-config --modversion
>>>     successfully post install of libqb-dev
>>
>> Isn't README.source a better place for this?  You could also point to
>> build-aux/git-version-gen for further explanation.  And I think its
>> value in the package (0.17.1) is incorrect: if I build from git I see
>> VERSION = 0.17.1.9-8355 in the created Makefile.
>
> This is actually not right, because the tarball-version file is not
> needed to be created by us, and when we package the next version we will
> increment the value inside ourselves.

The .tarball-version file is present in the released tarballs.  Upstream
does not anticipate that git snapshots would be built without the .git
directory being around, but you were doing exactly that.  So you had to
provide a .tarball-version file, with the same content that would have
been derived from git describe, if it had been possible.  This version
string enters libqb.pc, thus is user visible.

> The whole point of leaving that note, is so that if another maintainer
> does the packaging on the next version, they will know to
> leave .tarball-version there, and to remove .version.

It the "next version" is a proper upstream release, then it comes with a
proper .tarball-version file, and everything should just work.  Is there
any problem with this machinery?

> Once the package is made there is no editing necessary to build from
> package source - therefore README.source would be the inappropriate
> place to put that documentation.

Not if you just want to rebuild without changing anything.  But
otherwise it's useful to know how to influence to pkg-config version.

> README.debian would be correct here.

REAME.Debian is for the users of the binary package, I don't see how
this info would be useful there.

> v0.17.1.11-1111 is released, uscan was run, but since 11-1111 is
> actually a smaller number than 10-aa34

Maybe I misunderstand you, but:

$ dpkg --compare-versions 0.17.1.10-aa34 lt 0.17.1.11-1111 && echo yes
yes

> If you can promise that the hyphen and first four characters of the
> commit id wouldn't cause an issue

The commit id should never enter the play (unless the public branch is
rebased), as the number of commits will always decide.

> Although, I'm afraid Matthew is correct, and Debian likes it's pristine
> tarballs...so I will just pacakge the straight version, and patch it as
> necessary - leaving git snapshot releases for experimental :)

That's fine with me, too.  Let's hope the little lie in the pkg-config
version string won't hurt anybody.
--
Regards,
Feri.