[Debian-ha-maintainers] libqb is ready

Richard B Winters rik at mmogp.com
Sun Mar 29 19:03:51 UTC 2015

Hi Feri,

> The .tarball-version file is present in the released tarballs.  Upstream
> does not anticipate that git snapshots would be built without the .git
> directory being around, but you were doing exactly that.  So you had to
> provide a .tarball-version file, with the same content that would have
> been derived from git describe, if it had been possible.  This version
> string enters libqb.pc, thus is user visible.

It really isn't though, it's not present in the released tarballs,
please see:  https://github.com/ClusterLabs/libqb/archive/v0.17.1.tar.gz

(i.e download and extract it, no .tarball-version inside). And yes, one
is generated without any intervention...but then open it on up and you
will see the value as UNKNOWN rather than 0.17.1...hence the need for us
to preset it if not built with the .git directory intact in the root.

> > The whole point of leaving that note, is so that if another maintainer
> > does the packaging on the next version, they will know to
> > leave .tarball-version there, and to remove .version.
>
> It the "next version" is a proper upstream release, then it comes with a
> proper .tarball-version file, and everything should just work.  Is there
> any problem with this machinery?

Yes as I explained above, there is no .tarball-version file in the
original release tarball (its in .orig.tar.gz because I put it there,
and that's why I commented in README.debian because:

README.debian: Any extra details or discrepancies between the original
package and your Debian version should be documented here. [1]

README.source:
If running dpkg-source -x on a source package doesn't produce the source
of the package, ready for editing, and allow one to make changes and run
dpkg-buildpackage to produce a modified package without taking any
additional steps, creating a debian/README.source documentation file is
recommended. [2]

> > Once the package is made there is no editing necessary to build from
> > package source - therefore README.source would be the inappropriate
> > place to put that documentation.
>
> Not if you just want to rebuild without changing anything.  But
> otherwise it's useful to know how to influence to pkg-config version.
>
> > README.debian would be correct here.
>
> REAME.Debian is for the users of the binary package, I don't see how
> this info would be useful there.

See above and follow links, it's what the README.debian is used for,
spelling out discrepencies between original upstream tarball source and
our debian package source (such as our .tarball-version file and
population. README.source is for users of the source package, which
should indicate any extra steps necessary for them to build from the
source package....but there are none :)

> > v0.17.1.11-1111 is released, uscan was run, but since 11-1111 is
> > actually a smaller number than 10-aa34
>
> Maybe I misunderstand you, but:
>
> $ dpkg --compare-versions 0.17.1.10-aa34 lt 0.17.1.11-1111 && echo yes
> yes

No you understood me :)  I was referencing:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/first.en.html#namever

As I said I wasn't sure what it equated too, but was worried that the
hypen would actually increase the numbers along with the subsequent
letters.

Using the command you did shows this isn't the case.  So cool :)

> > If you can promise that the hyphen and first four characters of the
> > commit id wouldn't cause an issue
>
> The commit id should never enter the play (unless the public branch is
> rebased), as the number of commits will always decide.

The autogenerated version that you spoke of (suggested to use) in your
last email to me, is actually containing a commit id.

> > Although, I'm afraid Matthew is correct, and Debian likes it's pristine
> > tarballs...so I will just pacakge the straight version, and patch it as
> > necessary - leaving git snapshot releases for experimental :)
>
> That's fine with me, too.  Let's hope the little lie in the pkg-config
> version string won't hurt anybody.

Lie in pkg-config?  What lie?

[1]:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dother.en.html#readme