[Debian-ha-maintainers] libqb is ready

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Tue Mar 31 12:46:45 UTC 2015

Richard B Winters <rik at mmogp.com> writes:

> I get that it helps make it easier to cherry pick commits and patch the
> source - where I felt there was contradiction was in stating I couldn't
> manually prep the orig.tar.gz file -> yet am being advised to import a
> repository rather than a tarball and allow git tools (or myself) to
> manually prep the .orig.tar.gz file...

You import a repository AND an upstream tarball, tied to a specific
upstream commit.  Thus the pristine-tar software makes it possible to
recreate the upstream tarball without the space overhead of storing each
one in full.

> On Mon, 2015-03-30 at 22:34 +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
>
>> Alioth is free as in free software, github is not. So we should use
>> alioth for Debian things (or other free software tools), not github.
>
> So since we can't get our hands on Github.com's source we shouldn't use
> its free service for Debian? Yet we'll gladly import an upstream
> repository from Github.com and put a watch file looking at Github.com
> into our packages?...I don't really get it - we're not packaging
> Github.com, but source obtained from it - yet being the newbie here I
> will not argue it -> will scratch the Github.com repo and only use
> Alioth for our packages then.

It's a philosophical question.  You are permitted to use Github for
packaging, but many feel we should make Debian self-sufficient by not
depending on non-free services as far as possible.
--
Regards,
Feri.