[Debian-ha-maintainers] crm_mon email notification problem

Richard B Winters rik at mmogp.com
Wed Oct 14 16:49:05 UTC 2015

Hello Gianluca,

On 10/14/2015 10:55 AM, Gianluca Merlo wrote:
>     Feri.
>

> Hello Ferenc,
>
> I have followed your suggestion and tried packages
> from "deb http://apt.niif.hu/debian jessie main" on a clean couple of
> jessie VMs. I admit that I have been in a hurry, and had some problem
> pinning my way through stretch, ppa.mmogp.com <http://ppa.mmogp.com/> (I
> found no way to avoid using it), and the latter. I may have been silly,
> but I did not take time searching for past hints on how to properly mix
> the whole.

Sorry but until the packages in the Debian repositories are all fixed
and updated for compatibility among software versions, there is no way
to mix the packages only available from Debian's repositories via
pinning so that it will work (at least that I've tried).

You can avoid ppa.mmogp.com and any other private repository by building
the official upstream sources from scratch. They are mostly available on
Github.com/clusterlabs/

Documentation:

http://clusterlabs.org/wiki/Compiling_on_Debian

> I considered https://wiki.debian.org/Debian-HA/ClustersFromScratch as a
> base, and troubleshooted my way on from that. If you have, or can point
> at, more updated versions of such a document, I will for sure make use
> of it. I currently am somehow freezing my usage to what is available
> on ppa.mmogp.com <http://ppa.mmogp.com/>, so I cannot guarantee to be
> able to proceed in testing more recent versions, but having some
> documented procedure to do so may help tip the balance.

You can follow the clusterlabs.org documentation (clusters from scratch,
just choose the correct one for your system/versions).

http://clusterlabs.org/doc/

http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1-pcs/html/Clusters_from_Scratch/index.html

> Despite unexpectedly ending up with pcs instead of crmsh (I never used
> it before), I have made some simple tests with a ClusterMon resource
> like the one Stephane (and I) use, and I can confirm that all forms of
> crm_mon seems to work correctly (I tested e-mail, SNMP traps, and
> external agent functionality). I hope that the process of building the
> HA stack for jessie will take into account the apparent need of using
> some upstream updated code if crm_mon notification functionality is
> considered critical.

PCS/PCSD is one of the more popular CLI's these days - aside from crmsh,
which is also available on ppa.mmogp.com (you'll want to install that
and then uninstall pcs,though you don't _need_ either.)

> Thank you again for your help.
>
> Gianluca Merlo

I haven't updated the packages on ppa.mmogp.com since I last worked on
the packages. I've been waiting for review and updates from team members
for some time.

However, I will be updating the packages on ppa.mmogp.com - and keeping
it maintained a bit more regularly from here on out.  Do keep an eye out
for updates from Debian-HA, as eventually I imagine the team will be
working towards an official 'Debian' solution.

Until then, if you'll give me a little bit to go ahead and package the
latest updates from clusterlabs and the team - ppa.mmogp.com will be
up-to-date and ready to rock for you.  I'll make another ping once I've
accomplished as much.

Best regards,

--
Richard B Winters