[Debian-in-workers] possible packages for indic-desktop task

Ganesan R rganesan@myrealbox.com
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:28:08 +0530

Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

>Christian Perrier suggested that we think about an indic-desktop task for
>the new installer.  Here's a list of packages that could be included.  If
>they need additional packages for internationalization, they are in
>parantheses

Hey guys,

I am sorry that I've not been very active on this list. I hope that
changes from now on :-). I maintain the Tamil fonts and related packages
in Debian.

>Tamil
>-----
>GNOME 2.8
>KDE 3.2.3 (kde-i18n-ta)
>ttf-tamil-fonts

Please include tamil-gtk2im. Even though it iimf supports tamil,
tamil-gtk2im has supports many more keyboard styles and is a useful package.

>[1] The fonts situation ought to be rationalized.  Either each script
>should have its own package or they should all be in one big package.
>Right now Tamil, Malayalamm and Bengali have their own, and all the other
>languages are grouped together in ttf-indic-fonts

I admit that ttf-tamil-fonts has been showing some neglect and can use
some more love and care ;-). I personally prefer each language to be in
a separate package because font packages tend to get bigger over time
and one huge font package for all Indian language fonts may be a bit of
a pain. However, if the consensus is to have one big package, I have no
objection to merging tamil fonts into ttf-indic-fonts.

Ganesan