[Debian-in-workers] Problems with a couple of fonts

Soumyadip Modak soumyadip@softhome.net
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:49:02 +0530

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 19:02, Nagarjuna G. wrote:

> I need to know what clarifications are required regarding the Gargi font.
> i will be glad to provide any clarifications.
>
> Nagarjuna

Sorry I couldn't contact you earlier re: your offer for clarifications
on the Gargi font. A bug report has been filed against the
ttf-indic-fonts package (containing Gargi) that says:

>The fonts Gargi-1.1.ttf and Pothana2000.ttf contain nonsensical
>glyphs in the code positions U+200C and U+200D.  In fact, however,
>these code positions are control characters (ZERO WIDTH NON-JOINER
>and ZERO WIDTH JOINER) and should therefore not be in the font at
>all (and _definitely_ not contain any glyphs).  The presence of
>these characters in the fonts can break their essential use as
>control characters, and can make the fonts useless for the
>rendering of Nagari and the Telugu script as per the Unicode
>specification.  What is worse, on a system using fontconfig, the
>mere presence of these fonts can break rendering of these scripts
>even if other, correct OpenType fonts for them are available.

I understand that a new version of Gargi is available. Meanwhile
Sayamindu has informed me that, at least for Bangla, Microsoft
recommends keeping the glyphs, and that Pango isn't supposed to render
them.

>As far as Bangla goes, Microsoft recommends that U+200C and U+200D
>should have glyphs - see
>http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/bengalot/other.htm
>Pango is not supposed to render those marks under normal circumstances,
>dunno why it is doing so.

What am I supposed to do about this ? Is the bug report filed valid ?
Will migrating to the newer version of Gargi address this problem ?

Thanks

--
Soumyadip Modak
soumyadip@DELETEsofthome.net