[Debian-in-workers] Problems with a couple of fonts

Guntupalli Karunakar karunakar@freedomink.org
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:11:33 +0530

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:57:58 +0530
Soumyadip Modak <soumyadip@softhome.net> wrote:

> >   This font is marked with an FSType of 2 (Restricted
> >   License).  That means it is not editable without the
> >   permission of the legal owner.
> >
> >   Do you have such permission?
> >
> >   Yes         No
> >
> >And inside the editor, the Element -> Font Info -> TTF Values menu
> >shows
> >
> >   Embeddable: Never Embed/No Editing
> >
> >That clearly makes the font non-free.

The site http://www.kavya-nandanam.com/dload.htm provides two versions

'For read-only version of the font in Win95,98,ME,2000 and XP, please
Click here. - http://www.kavya-nandanam.com/Pothana2k-95.zip'

'For Read/write version of the font in Win2000 and XP, please Click
here. '
http://www.kavya-nandanam.com/Pothana2k.zip
Please check the latter one.

> I'll need some guidance here. As an intermediate measure, I'm
> removing the Gargi and Pothana fonts. But after that what am I
> supposed to do?
>
> I downloaded the Indlinux-Hindi tarball, and I copied over a couple
> of fonts from that tarball, over to the ttf-indic package. The
> tarball claims that the Pothana2000 font is GPL, so I put that in
> into the copyright file. Now it seems that the Telugu translation
> project is quoting my copyright file as claiming Pothana2000 to be
> GPL :) Can anybody give some pointers on what possible course of
> action should I take ?

As per an old mail thread
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3226604&forum_id=13737
 Pothana was released by its author under GPL. Though what is missing
is the website where it can be claimed as released under GPL.
the authors homepage is inaccessible at the moment.
http://members.nbci.com/kdesikachary/index.htm

I have sent out a mail requesting clarification on this to the author
and person who announced it.
Gargi issues can be fixed by Dr. Nagarjuna (cc'ed) who is maintainer
of this font.

Regards,
Karunakar

--
They can, because they think they can - Anon

* Blog: http://blogs.randomink.org/blog/10 *
* Work: http://www.indlinux.org            *