[Debian-in-workers] Problems with a couple of fonts

Soumyadip Modak soumyadip@softhome.net
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:01:44 +0530

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 07:55, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Soumyadip Modak wrote:
>

> > >   Embeddable: Never Embed/No Editing
> > >
> > >That clearly makes the font non-free.
> >

> There is a program called fontforge in Debian which will allow you to
> remove this flag.

OK What do I set it to: Printable Doc, Editable Doc or Installable Font.
I've presently selected Installable Font.

G. Karunakar is coming over tomorrow. I'll have a talk with him re:
this.

> Again fontforge is the answer.  you can remove just those glyphs instead
> of the whole font.
>
> > I downloaded the Indlinux-Hindi tarball, and I copied over a couple of
> > fonts from that tarball, over to the ttf-indic package. The tarball
> > claims that the Pothana2000 font is GPL, so I put that in into the
> > copyright file. Now it seems that the Telugu translation project is
> > quoting my copyright file as claiming Pothana2000 to be GPL :) Can
> > anybody give some pointers on what possible course of action should I
> > take ?

Sayamindu (Ankur Bangla  Group says that acc. to M$ documentation, there
should be some glyphs in the control position. Sayam, please correct me
if I'm wrong. Again, hope to have a discussion with him re: this
tomorrow.

> I think removing the fonts is too drastic.  I feel the authors probably
> left the restrictions in the font by accident.  First contact the
> copyright holders and clarify that they do want the GPL.  Get them to
> make the necessary changes or at least allow you to make the changes.  If
> you cannot get this resolved in a decent amount of time then go ahead and
> remove the fonts.

OK, should have some updates by this time tomorrow

--
Soumyadip Modak
soumyadip@DELETEsofthome.net