[Debian-in-workers] Re: hello + UTF8

|| स्वक्ष || स्वक्ष
Mon Aug 8 06:18:26 UTC 2005

Hello Jaldhar,

On 8/8/05, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at debian.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was alerted by Denis Barbier to your message on debian-i18n.  Sorry I
> don't understand why you could not post to Debian-in-workers.  You appear
> to be a member in good standing.  I've set follow up to that list.  Lets
> see if it works now.
> Anyway, your problem has been noticed before.  For some reason Debian
> Mozillas' pango doesn't render Devanagari properly.  But whether it is a
> Mozilla, a pango, or even a font problem remains to be seen.

Strangely, this problem does not occur with the diirga (long) svara or
any other svaras.  Is it possible that since the rhasva (short) svara
(U+093F) occurs first (when moving from left to right), it should also
be implemented first but usually we always write the consonants first
and then the svara....... Maybe the program implements it that way and
hence the error...... Just a thought that crossed my mind !
Btw, even vyanjanasandhi (tra, kr, hr, ksh,...) does not render
properly (as we usually write it). Reading it is difficult
sometimes...  but thats for another thread :-)

> I am in the middle of preparing a mozilla package with some patches added
> which may help.  But its not finished yet.

Can you refer any docus to read ... I saw  Pango.org and [1].

> 1. Which font are you using?

In Ubuntu4.10, the Character map {Applications>Accessories>Character
Map> Devanagari} allows 'drag-cut-paste' feature to create words,
which renders properly on that dialog box. This can be pasted on any
document.
I dont use the keyboard as yet. Do I need to download fonts for this.
Is there a howto for Ubuntu/Debian.

> 2. Do you see the problem in all GTK-based apps or only some?  If so which
>     ones.

The problem occurs when the text is pasted on any application like
firefox mozilla, OO and plain text files when i use gedit, etc...
The character map (used to drag, cut and paste words) is a part of the
Ubuntu distro as much as the gedit or firefox applications so why is
the word correctly displayed there and jumbles when pasted on another
application ? That is perplexing !

> 3. Have you tried using mozilla firefox with any other Indian language?
>     Did it work?

Other Indian languages seem to display correctly but I can only read
Sanskrit, Hindi and Marathi.

Thanks :)
--
cheers,
|| स्वक्ष || svaksha

[1] ftp://ftp.ilog.fr/pub/Users/haible/utf8/Unicode-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.4