Starting D-I translation effort for Bangla - step 3 (was: Re: [Debian-in-workers] Re: [DebianIndia] Debian-IN)

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed Aug 24 13:54:15 UTC 2005

> > The first step is: First contact with Debian Installer development
> > team
> Ok. Should I do it, or you'll do it on my behalf?

Well, no. By talking to me you just did it..:-)

> > So, I guess the language coordinator should be actually you, of
> > course.
> Yes :)
>
> > Is "Baishampayan Ghose (b.ghose at gmail.com)" what I should record?
> Yes. That's my real name and working email ID.

OK, Fine.

If you have a GPG key, please mention me its ID. Otherwise, don't
worry, it is not mandatory.

Let's proceed to step 2:

"New language identification"

quote from the doc:

"For technical reasons, only languages listed in the ISO-639 standard
can be supported directly in software translations. The official
ISO-639 list can be found on the official ISO-639 Maintenance Agency
web site. In case a translation effort is intended for a language not
listed in ISO-639, the use of one of the reserved codes of ISO-639
will be needed.

If needed, the Debian Installer i18n coordinators will search for the
ISO-639 code for your language if the new translator doesn't already
know it, as well as the official English name for the language. Mutual
agreement about these important parameters has to be reached at this
point."

Here, the step is already completed. Your language code is "bn" and I
just have registered the language in the languages list file for D-I.

Now step 3:

"Locale checking/writing"

"For a language to be supported completely in Debian Installer and
later in Debian GNU/Linux, one locale must exist for this language."
.../...
"If the language coordinator is aware of it, (s)he should provide the
name of the most used locale(s) for this language. The Debian
Installer i18n coordinators will check whether such locale already
exists in Debian. "

You already mentioned me the locale (bn_IN) and I just checked that it
actually exists. One question remains to me: another bn locale exists
for Bengladesh-->would you translation be also adapted for the bn_BD
locale?

(I prefer checking in case there are differences in scripts...)

Continuing the doc:

"For this step to be considered complete, a new locale must either
exist or be requested for addition (through a regular bug report) in
one of the following Debian packages: locales or belocs-locales-data."

bn_IN and bn_BD exist in both packages, so step 3 is also considered
complete as soon as you'll have answered my question above.