[Debian-in-workers] Debian on one dvd?

Guntupalli Karunakar karunakar at randomink.org
Tue Dec 13 19:08:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:49:19 -0500 (EST)
"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at debian.org> wrote:

> One of the problems Linux users in countries like India have is low
> bandwidth.  They prefer to get their distributions on CD or DVD as
> far as possible.  Debian is very badly affected by this as we
> usually stress updating over the net.
>
> At foss.in I spoke with the editor of Linux For You
> (http://www.linuxforu.com/) which is a magazine devoted to Linux
> topics with national distribution. As well as the articles, they
> distribute a DVD with each issue.  I asked the editor if they would
> be willing to distribute a Debian DVD.  He said he had several
> requests for this before but sarges' 2 DVD size was too big and he
> was loathe to make any changes himself.  But if I could provide him
> with a version which fit on one DVD, he would gladly include it in
> the February 2006 edition.

Wouldnt the first DVD have the most popular packages already in it? i
mean the more commonly used ones on first DVD & less common ones on
second?
 Last Nov/Dec 2004 one magazine PCQuest had given out Debian sarge
(beta) release on DVD, I guess they probably took a release build,
didnt make it on their own.

> So has anyone done anything like this before?  Or would anyone be
> willing to help get this done?  We have until the end of the year
> in order to meet the deadline for February.

I wanted to try on this, wrt simplified debian distro I was talking
about but dont have the DVD ISOs, though have a
local mirror but its pretty old.

Karunakar