[Debian-in-workers] Bengali in new Debian Installer

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Mon Sep 19 05:22:17 UTC 2005

> I'll be happy to join with you as a co-contributor. But is there any
> rule? I mean, should I have to announce it to any list at debian in a
> specific format? :)
>
> I checked out Debian-IN SVN's l10n repository and got
> "debian-installer_packages_po.pot" under /POT/debian-installer/level1/.
> So we have to work on it at the beginning. Have you done any work on
> this file? Let me know.

As BG mentioned using debian-in SVN, I'll create the directory layout
there for Bengali under "bn" just like the one currently in place for
Hindi.

Other languages coordinators (Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, Punjabi up to
now), please tell me if you want the same for yours.

> Btw, After reading the following mail, I think you should request for a
> "bn" layout.

Yup.

I also have to setup some synchronisation between D-I repository and
debian-in repository. Automating it would be nice, at least for the
POT file and for level1.

About the graphical installer, things are moving on. The D-I team will
probably have soon some usable demo. We are in the process of
integratiung the graphical installer to D-I daily builds.

The next challenge will certainly be fonts. We will need font experts
so that we have fonts that can display all supported
languages. Volunteers welcome to join on
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot

PS: for BG....which "nickname" should I use for you ? I like to use
people's first names as a friendly way to address them (for instance,
I'd call myself "Christian") but I'm afraid I don't know very well the
way this should be done for people in India. I prefer avoiding
cultural mistakes...:-)

(I already recently learned from Manoj Srivastava about the cultural
differences for physical contacts such as shaking hands when meeting
people....which I obviously completely wasn't aware of....)