[Debian-in-workers] Re: First commit of Tamil translation for Debian Installer

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Tue Feb 28 07:43:46 UTC 2006

Quoting Davide Viti (zinosat at tiscali.it):
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 07:12:54AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Welcome, then, to Tamil as a "soon supported" language in Debian
> > Installer. And congratulations to Damodharan Rajalingam who
> > coordinated (and continues to coordinate) this work.
>
> yes, congratulations!
> I'm interested to be prepared to support Tamil in g-i.
> What I'd like to know is if it can share the same fonts as one of
> the languages already supported and, eventually, which fonts we should
> use.

The fonts have to be different as Tamil is a different script than
Hindi/Bengali (Devanagari script) or Punjabi (Gurmukhi script).

The package you need is ttf-tamil-fonts. It features a "lohit_ta" font
as well as some others:

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-tamil-fonts/TAMu_Kadampari.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-tamil-fonts/TAMu_Kalyani.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-tamil-fonts/TAMu_Maduram.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-tamil-fonts/TSCu_Comic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-tamil-fonts/TSCu_Paranar.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-tamil-fonts/TSCu_Times.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-tamil-fonts/TSCu_paranarb.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-tamil-fonts/TSCu_paranari.ttf

Just install the package, then display ta.po and hi/bn/pa_IN.po....the
difference is noticeable even for us who can't read any of these (the
difference between hi/bn and pa_IN is less obvious....)