[Debian-in-workers] Debian-in logo

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at debian.org
Wed Jan 25 16:04:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Ravishekhar S wrote:

> I was misled by the name  and website of the group and was ignorant
> about its objectives.

Well, the website says "A project to coordinate the integration of Indian
language support in Debian." (actually I should add "culture" in there too.)
and there is as you pont out a honking big fluorescent Indian flag on it so
I don't see how anyone could be misled.

It just so happens that "Indian languages" are sometimes useful beyond the
boundaries of India.  Because we are free software people not software
hoarders we willingly share our work which may be useful to others in a
spirit of fraternity.  That doesn't mean we will dilute our own mission
just to fulfill some silly politically correct ideal.

South Asia isn't more accurate anyway.  Indian languages are also spoken
by significant communities in Malaysia, Singapore, Mauritius, Fiji, South
Africa, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Guyana, Trinidad, USA, UK, and Canada.

> PS: On the same line, should not the image with Debian Swirl on a
> fluorescent coloured Indian flag be removed from the homepage?

Yes.  But only because your design is much better. :-)

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at debian.org>