[Debian-in-workers] Red Hat signs MoU with Kerala gov

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 15:41:11 UTC 2007

Hi!!! Did not know that you are subscribed!! Welcome!!

doxa at sancharnet.in said on Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 07:43:12PM +0530,:

 > How can a MoU come through so fast without getting the consent of
 > official FSF office bearers ? If I understand, Vimal, Arun etc are
 > not part of this consultation process.

What is wrong with this? Why should the FSF-I be consulted on this issue?

One of  the strengths  of free  software is that  the user  (here, the
government) has the freedom to pick and choose the service provider.

 > 1. Get into agreement with RH for their enterprise edition - which
 > will prove that FS initiatives are too costly for govt - their TCO
 > argument.

Expenses on projects which use proprietary software is very huge when
compared to free software support licenses from RH.

 > 2. Make CAG vet its point from sustainable angle.

Who will  ``make the  CAG'' do  this?  the CAG  is a  very independent
entity, and  is not subject  to political pressures.   Comptroller and
Auditor General  is not a boddy  / authority which can  be commanded /
influences / purchased.

 > 3. Make inroad for M$ application through proper route to all Govt
 > initiatives.

Only thing that  M$(*) can point out against the RH  MoU at the moment
is ``free software community's``  criticism agaisnt the RH MoU, Except
these postings  from people  in one way  or other interested  with the
status quo, nobody else is criticising  the MoU. Nobody - not even the
debian developers.

And  Oh,  btw, I  have  a  hidden agenda  and  a  secret objective  in
supporting the RH MoU. I  have this nefarious and till now undisclosed
objective.  Now that  people have  started to  question my  motives, I
better disclose them now.

I am  seeking ``world domination''.   In furtherance of  that terrible
motive, I  have entered into  a conspiracy with various  free software
developers, including terro^W^W^W^W  Debian Developers[1], to takeover
the world.

Want  to stop me?  Please try.

(*) And when M$ entered into  an MoU with the government of Kerala for
    the IT at SCHOOL project, the only people who responded were the Free
    Software User Group, Kochi. Even the FSF-I was prodded into action
    only subsequent  to the FSUG-Kochi  memorandum and the  threats of
    litgation raised by them.

[1] See http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/27/1211211

--
 Mahesh T. Pai <<>> http://paivakil.blogspot.com/