[Debian-in-workers] Kerala Govt's MoU with Red Hat

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:51:24 UTC 2007

2007/6/26, CK Raju <doxa at sancharnet.in>:
> > Also, note that we don't accept bugs about unofficial versions, such as Red Hat's..."
>
> An official maintainer of a package refusing to accept bug reports from *unofficial versions* (Red Hat's)  is something that deprives a developer to gain first hand experience from official team.

It is the developers Freedom not to accept bug reports from Red Hat's
version. Free Software is always about the Freedom of the users and
not developers. Here Red Hat is Free to change Grub in any way they
think fit.

>Its a denial of freedom for the developer, especially since the
*understanding of democracy* by unofficial and official groups are
hardly the same - if they were identical why should there be a Red Hat
at all.

Now it is up to Red hat to decide whether they want to push their
patches upstream (and I think they have such a policy in place). As
long as Red Hat complies with GPL and provide the source Grub
maintainers can pick it up if it is a good change and Red Hat refuses
to push it upstream.

I don't get what is the point you are trying to make. Red Hat is using
their rights as per GPL to make changes to Grub and Grub developers
are refusing to accept bug report from Red Hat's version of grub as it
is their Freedom.

Cheers
Praveen
--