[Debian-in-workers] [X Post] Debian's plan for Foss.in/2009?

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at debian.org
Wed Oct 21 08:37:14 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Kartik Mistry wrote:
> Please start discussing about this :)
>
> Last year's work:
> http://workouts.foss.in/2008/index.php/Debianize_your_work
> http://workouts.foss.in/2008/index.php/Debianize_your_work_WorkOut_Report

In some ways last year's Debian workout was not very successful. Perhaps
I was over-ambitious! In any case, now that I am in Chandigarh and
teaching this semester, it is impossible for me to come down to
Bangalore for this year's FOSS.in (the dates are in the middle of the
examination period).

Here are some tips if someone is keen on trying to do the same
workout but wants to learn from past mistakes: (;->)

 1. Create a disk-image of the repository of the unstable archive
 and set it up as a mirror for the build process. I had done this
 halfway by using "approx" but the packages were only those which I
 needed to build my source packages --- not enough!

 2. Have some "nearly ready" source packages which you would like
 to build during the workout. Starting from the download may take too
 long if you want to clarify some points. One possible demonstration
 tool is to build a backport.

 3. Similarly, have a "new" package in semi-ready state to build
 during the workout. Learn the new debhelper in advance and use its
 latest and greatest features!

 4. Have your "pbuilder/cowbuilder/sbuild" already updated and ready
 to go. Do not make the mistake of running "pbuilder update" even as
 a demo!

 5. Be prepared with a set of answers to standard packaging
 questions, which are mostly along the lines of "Why can't I just
 wrap-up the relevant files?" and "Creating this (deb) source format
 is a needless pain --- why do it?"

Regards,

Kapil.