[Debian-in-workers] Draft for ttf-indic-fonts restructuring

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Sat May 14 15:41:06 UTC 2011

Vasudev Kamath said on Sat, May 14, 2011 at 05:57:06PM +0530,:
 > Well I just forgot but its simple the new package will have Replaces:
 > Conflicts: Provides: which can handle the installed
 > ttf-<language>-fonts
 >
 > For Eg. fonts-malayalam will have

Quite fint; but what if I install only font-lohit-malayalam or
whatever under the new scheme? Will it remove lohit_ml.ttf only,
leaving other fonts intact?

 > Replaces: ttf-malayalam-fonts
 > Conflicts: ttf-malayalam-fonts
 > Provides: ttf-malayalam-fonts
 >
 > so when you install this apt will take care of removing the existing
 > ttf-<language>-fonts cleanly and install fonts-malayalam

IMHO, the right approach will be for ALL of font-<name>-<lang> to
conflict with ttf-<lang>-fonts package.

But, if a new font comes up, it should _not_ conflict with
ttf-<lang>-fonts package.

Putting the "conflicts" in fonts-malayalam metapackage is allright;
but what if user installs only fonts-<name1>-malayalam and
font-<name2>-malayalam only?

Other 5 or 7 fonts continue there; and these 2 fonts' ttf files are
still there, because the f-<name>-<lang> did not conflict...

Hope I conveyed myself right.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||