[Debian-in-workers] Fonts Package transition status

Vasudev Kamath kamathvasudev at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 11:03:33 UTC 2011

Hello all,

Some update on ttf-indic-fonts transition to new naming policy.

Tasks Done
--------------------------------------

1.Lohit fonts are transitioned into new scheme. New names are as follows
  1. fonts-lohit-as (Assamese)
  2. fonts-lohit-bn (Bengali)
  3. fonts-lohit-devanagari (Devanagari)
  4. fonts-lohit-gu (Gujarati)
  5. fonts-lohit-kn (Kannada)
  6. fonts-lohit-ml (Malayalam)
  7. fonts-lohit-or (Oriya)
  8. fonts-lohit-ta (Tamil)
  9. fonts-lohit-te (Telugu)
10. fonts-lohit-pa (Punjabi)

2. Samyak fonts are also transitioned to new scheme. fonts-samyak is
the source package which provides following binaries
  1. fonts-samyak-ta
  2. fonts-samyak-ml
  3. fonts-samyak-gu
  4. fonts-samyak-devanagari
  5. fonts-samyak-or

Note that all above fonts are built from source (sfd file). Besides
the above we already have Sourashtra font Pagul in new scheme
fonts-pagul.

Pending / TODO
1. We are yet to move smc-fonts to new scheme as we are still waiting
for upstream to do their new release (old release was missing
LICENSE/COPYING file).
2. Remaining fonts which don't have active upstream we plan to make
them single source package fonts-indic with binaries fonts-malayalam,
fonts-kannada, fonts-gujarati etc... If any one has a suggestion
please provide the same.
3. We need to check and re-prepare the current udeb for
debian-installer (this may be huge task I don't know how many things
will get involved in this)
4. We have a pending ITP for fonts-eeyek
5. Finally we need to re-assign / close pending bugs on
ttf-indic-fonts to newly named package which again is a huge task ( We
have total 8 bugs on ttf-indic-fonts)

Current Workforce of debian-in is only 2 :(. Yes we need some more
contributors to finish the above task if you are not a packager you
can even help by testing the new packages source is available at our
new debian-in git repository

Eg: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-in/fonts-samyak.git;a=summary

Please replace with proper package name to land to the new repository

Best Regards

--

Vasudev Kamath
http://vasudevkamath.blogspot.com