[Debian-l10n-devel] Thomas scripts still running

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) faw at funlabs.org
Wed Jun 18 03:32:37 UTC 2008

On 17-06-2008 20:57, Nicolas François wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:44:36PM -0300, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
>>> This is half intentional.
>>>   * I think we should keep Thomas jobs running until we are sure the new
>>>     ones work correctly.
>> 	Are we ready to take over?
>
> Yes. It's OK for Thomas's cron jobs:
>
>  * the testing material are now generated by
>        /srv/dl10n-stuff/bin/gen-testing2
>    and /srv/dl10n-stuff/bin/gen-testing.cfg2
>    in /srv/dl10n-stuff/www/testing/
>    available on http://i18n.debian.net/material/testing/
>
> => you can backup and remove /srv/dl10n-stuff/bin/gen-testing and
> /srv/dl10n-stuff/bin/gen-testing.cfg
>    I will later move gen-testing2 and gen-testing.cfg2 and update the
>    cron job.

	I added permission to the group, you should be
able to backup and remove them, that will avoid unnecessary
downtime. We should add them to the SVN in a branch, just
as a reference, I can't think of a better way to backup
_and_ document it.

>  * The NMU script is also running
>    /srv/dl10n-stuff/bin/nmu-update
>    result on /org/dl10n-stuff/www-debian-l10n/l10n-nmu/
>    logs on /org/dl10n-stuff/log/dl10n-nmu.cron.*
>    available on http://i18n.debian.net/debian-l10n/l10n-nmu/

	OK, no action should be required and it seems that
everything is pretty fine.

> More work will be needed to fully move to the SVN version for the spider
> scripts:

	I don't read the changelogs yet, sorry, as soon as
I can get to it I will try to help you with tests, patches
and deploy.

> I would like to inform the user language teams since the results are not
> exactly the same.

	Yes, at least the ones using our infra-structure.

> Some DONE mails will have to be sent for old files or I can automatically
> close the threads older than 3 years.

	Why? Can't we hack it to check the BTS and close
what's pending?

> You can have a look on
> http://i18n.debian.net/~nekral/www-debian-l10n/portuguese/pt.by_date.html

	It seems very consistent for Portuguese, BTW, would
be possible to use pt_BR to avoid confusion with our fellow
Portuguese (but not Brazilian Portuguese) translators and
also allow them to use the robots?

> (It's currently generated by
>     /srv/dl10n-stuff/bin/spiderhourly2
> and /srv/dl10n-stuff/bin/spiderbts2
> with the result and logs on my home directory)

>>>   * I can't disable Thomas's crontab.
>>>     (unless it is in /etc/crcon.d/*robots*)
>> 	I can do that, just let me know if we are ready.
>
> You can proceed with the crontab (maybe with a backup).

	Both are now disabled:

0 */12 * * * $HOME/bin/nmu-update
17 4 * * * /org/dl10n-stuff/bin/gen-testing testing

	Thomas' crontab is still in place, but everything
is now commented, his account is now disabled.

	This also means that the actual debian-l10n is
not going to be updated, so you probably would need to
move the new versions in place.

>> 	BTW, what about the SVN needed for Thomas scripts?
>> Do we still need it? I can also create it on churro, just
>> for local access and provide it via churro websvn.
>
> I don't really know how Thomas used this repository.
> I guess it was only useful for debugging purpose and because of the LDAP
> BTS interface (he mentioned that sometimes every bugs are marked as
> closed). I would prefer to fix the bugs and use the SOAP interface which
> seems more supported by the debbugs people.

	I agree with you.

> I was able to recreate the full database in a few hours, and I would
> propose to stick with backups and a way to restore the database rather
> than storing the database on a repository.

	rsnapshot can do incremental snapshot, saving
space and providing multiple return points. I will
setup it.

> The databases can be re-created from scratch with
> /srv/dl10n-stuff/bin/spiderinit

	That's great.

Kind regards,
- --