[Debian-l10n-devel] Merging package description translations from Ubuntu

Nicolas François nicolas.francois at centraliens.net
Sun Feb 15 13:31:27 UTC 2009

Hello Michael, Hello Martijn,

During FOSDEM, I talked to Gabor Kelemen who is translating package
description for Ubuntu in Hungarian.
It is just easier for him (and an Hungarian team, as he was not alone) to
stick with translating in Rosetta (I don't think we should discuss this),
and I think it would be a good idea to support it as well.

I remember you implemented a method to export PO files from the DDTP
database.  Do you also have a way to import PO files?

There are some technical issues that should be solved:
 * getting the PO file from Ubuntu
   => I would propose to make it manual first.
   In the long term, it can be automated by requesting the PO file and
   receiving it by an email.
 * Conflicts handling.
   => I would propose to ignore this issue by first discarding the Ubuntu
      translations if a translation already exist.
   In the long term, we could tag the translation as having a conflict and
   maybe use this information to export a PO file with the conflicts, or
   use this information when the mail or DDTSS interfaces are used. We
   will also need cooperation from Ubuntu (otherwise, the conflict will
   re-appear).

Martijn and Michael, do you think importing PO files would be possible?

Note: BTW, some people also talked about opening/freeing Rosetta. It even
seems there has been an planning set for this.

Gabor, please correct anything wrong above (I think it reflects our
discussion).
It could also be nice to provide the current PO file for testing (it might
be easier for us to have it available for download rather than having to
create an account).

Cheers,
--
Nekral