[Debian-l10n-devel] Translations cleanup

Nicolas François nicolas.francois at centraliens.net
Wed Jun 9 17:09:59 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 07:56:42PM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Arne Goetje (arne.goetje at canonical.com):
>
> CC'ing debian-l10n-devel mailing list, that gathers all people
> involved in the Debian i18n infrastructure and scripts.
>

> > I just stumbled upon this translation overview page:
> > http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/
> >
> > The script which generates the page seems to need some improvement:
> >  * it seems not to use the iso_639_3.xml file from the iso-codes
> > package, since many language codes are marked as "Unknown language".
>

> I'm not sure this is easy to achieve. Nicolas, any idea?

I think the scripts are using
http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/debian-l10n/dl10n/trunk/lib/Locale/
I'm sure it's possible to use the iso XML files instead, but I do not know
how to parse those files. Also, I will not have time to do this, but can
update the data at the end of the files of the above directory.

> >  * language codes with @ modifiers are not parsed correctly. The
> > script should split the string at the @ and display it like this:
> > ca at valencia Catalan (valencia).

This would need more input.
I do not understand what "not parsed correctly" means here. Do you have
links on what are the consequences of this incorrect parsing. Then I would
be able to find which script could be improved.

Currently, the database contains lines like:

po/ca at valencia.po!ca at valencia!205t0f0u!po/accerciser_1.10.1-1_ca at valencia.po!Carles Ferrando Garcia <carles.ferrando at gmail.com>!Catalan (Valenci&#224;) <tradgnome at softcatala.org>

> >  * some entries look bogus, e.g. vi_AR. There are no translations
> > with that code, so it needs to be investigated where this code comes
> > from.
>
> Certainly from some bogus package providing a vi_AR.po file.

People (other than me;) could hunt these issues, but I think this person
will loose a lot of energy when the wrong file is coming from upstream and
not from Debian.

> > Also, I'd like to ask if there is any coordinated effort planned or
> > underway to fix the .po file names in the packages themselves? Quite
> > a few files need to be renamed in order to be useable.
>
> There have been some initiatives. In a quite distant past, I reported
> a few such errors to the relevant packages.

The only think I might be willing to do (i.e. does not cost too much from
my time, and might sometimes have a result) is to issue warning (those are
linked in the PTS page for source packages).

Cheers, and good luck with the cleanup ;)
--
Nekral