[Debian-l10n-devel] DDTP translations for lenny but not for squeeze/sid?

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Sat Jan 15 06:24:20 UTC 2011

(yet another thread about DDTP on churro, started on -i18n)

Quoting Andreas Tille (andreas at an3as.eu):
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 10:07:17PM +0100, Martin Eberhard Schauer wrote:
> > The host is located somewhere in spain
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2007/12/msg00058.html.
>
> Putting a host into debian.org domain and under DSA control is independ
> from where it is physically located.  I also think that it might be
> perfectly possible to use some other hardware - recently there was an
> offer for hosting such services for free on debian-private at l.d.o.

The service in the Extremadura hosting facility has most often been of
good quality (if we expect a few weeks where we had to fight to get
SSH access to the machine working again after some firewalling
changes, back in 2009).

A limitation is that our contact there, César Gomez Martin (who
everybody who attended DC9 knows well) is not living in the same city
the host is located (churro is in Merida while César lives in
Caceres).

So, in some cases, we might have a few service shortages and delays to
restore things.

Anyway, it is time to move these services elsewhere and,
definitely, under DSA control. Felipe was working on that but, again,
RL seems to be hardly competing with that for him.

CC'ing Felipe in order to get more details about the current
situation. Felipe, if you're really stuck, we might maybe consider an
alternative by finding a volunteer in the DSA team?

On the other hand, whatever is the situation wrt general system
administration on churro, we also need someone to take a *close care*
of the DDTP/DDTSS. Someone really knowing how things are organized and
working together. As already written, I know about three people who
fit this (or part of this) definition: Grisu, Nicolas François and
Martijn van Osterhout (DDTSS author).

CC'ing everybody, plus the "debian-l10n-devel" mailing list
which...has, indeed, the very same people subscribed.

A crazy idea that starts emerging in my mind is maybe bringing all
these people, plus 1 or 2 DSA team members (faw is part of DSA, IIRC)
in the same place for 2-3 full days, lock them, feed them with pizzas
and coke (no beer) and only unlock them when churro is fully under DSA
control and more than 1 person is able to repair the DDTP/DDTSS.

CC'ing Zack/Stefano. I can think about one place we both were in the last
months, in Paris, that could fit this definition (folks from Académie
de Versailles, Stefano.