[Debian-l10n-devel] Packaging for pootle

Stuart Prescott stuart+debian at nanonanonano.net
Sun Nov 13 23:47:16 UTC 2011

Dear Debian Pootle people,

In coordination with Omar and Christian, I've been looking at the Debian
packaging for Pootle. I had planned to drop you a few small patches to polish
the work you had already done but ended up doing a lot more than that.

I believe I now have a pootle package that:

* installs with working defaults straight out of the box
* works nicely for users who want to run pootle with apache wsgi or similar
rather than just the standalone PootleServer
* works nicely for users who want to run pootle with a database server such as
mysql or postgresql
* is upgradable from previous releases without data loss

I've extended the use of dbconfig-common and employed ucf to manage the
localsettings.py configuration file to help with this. Following long
discussions with upstream developer Friedel Wolff the packaging is also
strongly encouraging the use of apache wsgi or some other locally-specified
accelerating frontend to pootle along with a database server such as mysql.
(Many thanks to Friedel who has been very patient with my questions about
pootle)

My packaging can be found at:

git (based on the team svn)

	http://git.nanonanonano.net/?p=pootle.git;a=summary
	git clone http://git.nanonanonano.net/projects/pootle.git

source and binary packages

	http://debian.nanonanonano.net/debian/pool/main/p/pootle/

apt-get-able repository:

	deb http://debian.nanonanonano.net/debian sid main
	deb http://debian.nanonanonano.net/debian squeeze-backports main

I have tested these packages with a number of scenarios for fresh
installations and also for upgrades. I think they're now ready for wider
testing and some sanity checking from other developers. (If you do install
these packages, please note that I am not planning to increment version
numbers on the packages unless the maintainers explicitly ask me to do so.)

Please have a look over the packages and let me know how they can be improved
and what the best plan is for getting pootle back into Debian. Feel free to
feed comments back via mail or in #pootle on irc.freenode.net.

thanks in advance,
Stuart

(Please Cc me in replies to the list to make sure I see them)

--
Stuart Prescott    --    www.nanonanonano.net