[Debian-l10n-devel] DDTP stats/graphs

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 21:19:43 UTC 2012

On 12 August 2012 18:52, helix84 <helix84 at centrum.sk> wrote:
> I like to look at them from time to time to see what progress we made.
> So I'm not looking for exact data, just the nice graph. It would be a
> pity to lose the old data - could it be converted somehow (even if the
> metrics wouldn't be exactly the same) and drawn in the same graph with
> the new data?

I'm not sure what the old data is worth. AFAICT the data before 2006
is completely bogus. Exactly how did hundreds of thousands of
translations go missing in a year? Yeah, the DDTP had some issues
then, but that doesn't destroy data. What seems more likely to me is
that the graphs were measuring something else entirely. And even if
they were measuring the right thing, I don't understand the added
value, other than showing that something broke?

They certainly bear no relation to now. We can keep the graphs for
posterity, but the data is useless for further processing.

> Since you're talking about that page, I always wondered what those
> numbers really mean (a legend):
> lang sk has 2623 (516) active translations from 5282 translations;
> And why there are often sudden drops, not gaps.

Yeah, I keep wondering about those too.

/me digs through the source...

The last one is how many descriptions are translated, the first is how
many of those are active in sid. The one in the brackets is
mysterious, it's the result of the following query:

SELECT count(package)
FROM description_tb
WHERE description_id in (SELECT description_id FROM active_tb)
and description_id not in
    (SELECT description_id
     FROM translation_tb
     WHERE description_id in (SELECT description_id FROM active_tb)
     and language='$lang')
and package in
    (SELECT package
     FROM description_tb
     WHERE description_id in
        (SELECT description_id FROM translation_tb WHERE language='$lang')
     GROUP BY package);

Frankly, I have no idea what this is doing, but somebody clearly
thought it important enough to include. I'd suggest ignoring it.

Have a nice day,