[Debian-l10n-devel] Porting the mail interface, or not (ddtp.debian.org)

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 14:55:49 UTC 2012

Hoi,

Looking on my list of things to do it says "mail interface" but I've
just looked at the logs on ddtp.debian.net and it looks like the mail
interface is unused and has been for a long time. This surprised me as
I thought there were language teams using other systems for
translations and using the mail interface to feed the translations
back. Apparently not.

So the question is, do we need a mail interface at all? At least for
the short term it appears not, but perhaps I'm missing something. Are
people using other methods to feed translations in?

At the last sprint we discussed the mail interface briefly and it was
the suggested that it would be useful to have one but that the current
mail interface was not as useful as it could be. In particular it was
suggested that if the interface worked with PO files that it would
make people's lives much easier.

Anyway, this email is just to open a discussion and if no-one objects
I'll just forget the mail interface for the time being, meaning that
when the switch happens the mail interface will be gone. Perhaps we
can return to it in the future.

Have a nice day,