[Debian-l10n-devel] Draft of the i18n sprint report

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Sun Jun 17 14:03:35 UTC 2012

Hello Stefano,

Below is the current report we cooked about the Sprint. Would you care
to have a look at it and mention what you think is missing...or
correct any mistakes?

Many TIA...

Debian i18n Sprint 2012
=======================

Report from the Debian i18n Sprint
----------------------------------

From June 15th until June 17th, IRILL hosted the Debian i18n Sprint, seven
people were present.  These are the minutes, results and notes from our
work, it is a brief description but hopefully complete of what we have done
and what is still missing/pending.

We would like to thank IRILL for hosting us. In addition, our thanks to the
many donors[1] whose contributions have permitted the project to subsidize
transportation and lodging.

  1. http://www.debian.org/donations

Decisions
---------

We took several key decisions before starting the implementation work :
 * We'll keep i18n.debian.net running (on "churro", a machine hosted by
   Junta de Extremadura, in Spain) in parallel with i18n.debian.org)
 * The same stands for ddtp.debian.net with regards to ddtp.debian.org
 * We'll use scripts and eventually prepare packages
 * We wanted to reorganize repositories, add scripts not under version control,
   expand documentation before improving what exists
 * We'll use a GIT repository under git.debian.org
 * We'll continue to go on with the debian-l10n project on Alioth

Tasks completed
---------------

Machines setup
--------------

Thanks to DSA Team we now have two virtual machines:

 * tye.debian.org hosting i18n.debian.org / l10n.debian.org
 * dukas.debian.org hosting ddtp.debian.org

Having Martin Zobel-Helas attending the meeting allowed the team to better
learn about processes related to DSA-managed machines (account creations,
including accounts for non-DD users, packages installation, general system
administration of DSA machines) and thus better understand the impact on
our processes.

Email (ingoing and outgoing) is working on tye and dukas.

A full source mirror in NFS-mounted and can be used by local utilities (such
as those gathering the material).

Team members have SSH access as well as the needed sudo authorizations.

Needed packages: we started working to identify packages needed by gen-material
and spider in order to create virtual packages named "i18n.debian.org" and
"ddtp.debian.org".

VCS for scripts and services
 * compendia: scripts related to translation compendia generation
 * debian.org: configuration for the machines
 * debian-l10n: general team material (documentation, reports, etc.)

The existing SVN is now declared obsolete, except for the packaging trees it contains (pootle, translate-toolkit, virtaal). It will be up to maintainers of these packages to move them in git if they want. The suggested name is "pkg-<package>.git".

The old (unused) CVS repository has been removed.

http://anonscm.debian.org/git/debian-l10n/ is the new location.
debian-l10n/ddtp.git
debian-l10n/debian-l10n.git
debian-l10n/debian.org.git
debian-l10n/dl10n.git

debian-l10n Alioth project
--------------------------

Some cleaning was done on the project. It has two admins (Christian Perrier
and Nicolas François) and only active members have been kept as project
members (plus people who maintain some packages under the debian-l10n
umbrella).

Unused services (forums, trackers, etc.) have been shutdown.

Working services
   - l10n-nmu has been manually launched and confirmed to be working
   - early work on factorization of scripts

 * dukas (ddtp.debian.org)
   - DDTP/DDTSS software is installed but not yet configured.
   - ddtp.debian.net will stay in production for now, while ddtp.debian.org
     will be used to develop a new platform.
   - http://ddtp.debian.org is working (but is of course NOT the production site!)
   - http://ddtp.debian.org/ddtp_schema.pdf has a schema of interactions in
     the DDTP/DDTSS

Future plans
------------

As this sprint has been incredibly useful when it comes at team building, we
already planned two future gatherings of the i18n team:

 * another sprint in January or early February 2013, very certainly in Europe,
   Paris being apparently a good candidate for it.
 * a team work session scheduled for DebCamp 2013, before DebConf 13, in
   Switzerland.

We're also seriously considering a GSOC 2013 project. A few ideas have been
mentioned:
 * rework the specification of dl10n bots
   - implementation of a new mail parser for robots (to replace dl10n-spider)
   - implementation of a new script to gather material from the archive (e.g. using lintian farm or dak Metadata)
 * work on BTS usertags
 * redesign of the ddtp website so it conforms more to the Debian style
 * implementation of a ddtp client ui, so work can be done without the web interface

--
Debian i18n Team <debian-i18n at lists.debian.org>
Debian l10n development <debian-l10n-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>