[Debian-l10n-devel] A new DDTP server / DDTP is puppetised

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 13:47:44 UTC 2013

Hi Debian Translators,

The DDTP has been limping along for a many years on churro and given the
problems in the last few months it may be time to put churro to sleep.

In the last few weeks Andreas Tille and Thomas Goirand have graciously
arranged for a virtual server at gplhost. I have spent a few hours writing
a puppet manifest to configure the machine.

The manifest can be found here: https://github.com/kleptog/DDTP-puppet

And the result can be seen at the temporary url http://ddtp.kleptog.org/

So now two birds are killed with one stone: with this manifest, anyone can
configure a new DDTP server in about 20 minutes. And we have a new server
ready to take over from churro.

(For everybody who thinks this repo should be on alioth under the
debian-l10n project, I agree. I just couldn't work out how to make a new
repo on alioth and github was three clicks.)

So, what is needed to make the transition complete:

1. Agreement from everyone that this is the way to go (hence this email).

2. Support from the ftpmasters to handle the switchover to the new server.
We can copy a lot of keys, but SSH is still going to complain when we
change the DNS.

3. DNS entry change to new IP address (owner of domain needs to do this).

4. A switchover moment to copy the database and statistics (my job).

5. The new server needs a valid reverse DNS so it can send/receive mail
(being worked on).

6. Probably some more user accounts, currently only Andreas & I have
access, and perhaps not even Andreas because port 443 is now the webserver.

Now, in theory this manifest could also be used on the (no longer
available) ddtp.debian.org. However, we are not yet ready for this. It
caused problems on their database server last time and the fixes for that
vanished when the server vanished. So we will have to go without any Debian
infrastructure until the DB issues are fixed (probably when we go to DDTP2).

Now, barring objections and/or other problems I was thinking of aiming for
a switchover in the second week of October.

(For those curious about performance: despite the new VM having less memory
than churro, the VM manages to do the daily update in just under 3 hours,
while churro takes 17).

Comments?