[Debian-l10n-devel] Getting rid of churro?

helix84 helix84 at centrum.sk
Mon Feb 10 11:15:00 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout
<kleptog at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 February 2014 20:16, Joe Dalton <joedalton2 at yahoo.dk> wrote:
>>
>> new translations in Danish is now sent to my Jessie installation. Great
>> news. Thanks.
>>
>> and it seems all the important languages are updated (strange some files
>> isn't updated).
>> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/i18n/
>>
>> Is it possible to make an update in Wheezy?
>> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/i18n/
>> hasn't been updated since 2013-05
>>

> In theory yes, however the ftpmasters decided (somewhere) that stable
> releases shouldn't get translation updates. I'm not sure I agree with the
> reasoning, but there it is. As a practical issue fixing that would be
> changing one line in dak, and telling ddtp.d.n to generate the necessary
> files. But it's more of a policy thing really.
>
> Or at least, that's my recollection of it. Trying to find evidence in git
> repos drew a blank though; references to stable are carefully commented out
> everywhere right from the start. Evidently the choice was made prior to the
> first commit of the automatic update code (ddtp-dinstall).
>
> I would argue that when Debian does a point release with stable-updates,
> that translations should be considered part of that.

I very vaguely remember that I used to get (daily?) updates using
translation pdiffs at one time when I used to translate package
descriptions a lot. Now I don't remember whether this was for stable.
It might even have been on Ubuntu. I don't remember how to configure
it but maybe it will ring a bell for someone else.

Regards,
~~helix84