[debian-lan-devel] packaging Debian-LAN

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Mar 10 20:13:01 UTC 2013

Quoting Andreas B. Mundt (2013-02-03 11:30:29)
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 10:53:03AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 4:23 AM, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
> > > Finally, what is the best name for the package? I thought about
> > > debian-lan-fai-config, but finally ended up without the fai.  I am
> > > still not sure if FAI should be mentioned in the package name, or
> > > if that gets too long.
> >
> > I was thinking fai-config-lan.
>
> Hmm, I don't want to interfere too much with FAI's name space as
> debian-lan is independent, ...
>
> I wait a bit if there are further suggestion, then I'll commit the
> modifications so far.

Choose a name reflecting the primary purpose, avoiding details that
might change.

If your primary aim was to extend FAI with some classes, which happen
to be about setting up a LAN, then Paul's suggestion is better.

...but when the goal of the package is easy Debian deployment for a LAN
- mentioning FAI only as a practical way to get there, your own
suggestion is better.

...or perhaps simply debian-lan?  Then if the project later grows big
enough for splitting parts you could move the FAI classes into either
debian-lan-config (or debian-lan-config-fai if there will also by then
be e.g. a puppet flavor), and have "debian-lan" become a meta-package
pulling both config, tool, documentation, monitoring etc. parts.

Avoiding FAI in the name also better fits by secret plan¹ to have FAI be
only one way of deplying Debian LAN - Boxer² being another. :-)

 - Jonas

¹ ...because "secret plan" sounds more cool than admitting that I have
been too lazy to contribute even thoughts yet to Debian LAN project :-/

² I am currently rewriting in Perl, but a somewhat working first
implementation exist with a draft description at
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/boxer.git;a=blob;f=README